DLL Load Question: Please Help!

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Wed Feb 2 07:59:41 CST 2005

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:53:39 +0300, Sergey Efimoff wrote:
> Unfortunately, I cannot use Wine as a main process (did you mean the
> stuff which is now made by preloader?). My project is a complex
> multi-threaded application, and the DLL mentioned above is to be only the small part of it.

Why does that matter? The main reason people want to avoid their app
depending on Wine is for dependency reasons, but even that is solvable.

What making a Winelib app means is basically

  CC=winegcc CXX=wineg++ ./configure

OK, so it's a bit more work than that, but really it's not a huge deal. At
the end you get a shell script instead of a binary and when run your app
will start up and act just like a normal UNIX app, except that you can now
call Win32 APIs like LoadLibrary.

The main problem is that now your program requires Wine to be present in
order to start. So it's not optional. If you don't like that, just put
your program code into a library, libfoobar-app then have two little stub
programs that load it: one that doesn't use Wine and one that does. Then
the user can pick the right one for their situation.

thanks -mike