A call to fix the BeginPaint issue

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sat Feb 12 18:44:34 CST 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:46:19 -0800, Nick Hornback wrote:
> This is because, as far as I'm aware, these
> applications don't send BeginPaint/EndPaint as they
> technically should, but they all work fine on native
> Windows. Now, before, it has simply been a matter of
> reversing the patch, no big deal. However, since the
> region handling has been moved to the server, that is
> not possible without a lot of tinkering, something
> that I just don't have the mad skillz to do.

To reiterate, the problem is not the lack of BeginPaint/EndPaint but
rather the fact that some apps are not validating the invalid region for
some reason. BeginPaint/EndPaint do this for you, but they aren't the only
way (which is why Foobar2000 can get away without it).

In particular, Notes has regressed as well so I will be working on this. I
might take a look at Foobar2000 as well to see if I can figure out if it's
a similar problem or a different one.

Unfortunately we don't really understand what's going on here. There may
be one bug, there may be *many* bugs all that cause the same behaviour. So
I'm afraid it's not something that will be fixed overnight.

thanks -mike