Real-world appdb

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sun Feb 13 00:32:15 CST 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:11:53AM -0700, tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net wrote:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
> >-------------------------------
> >Welcome
> >
> >This is the Wine Application Database. From here you get info on
> >application compatibility with Wine. For developers, you can get
> >information on the APIs used in an application.
> >------------------------------------
> >

> >Oooh, I can? Never noticed that.... sounds like it would be useful
> >information even for a non-coding maintainer, since I would then have a
> >better idea what debug channels I'd want to use in case of trouble. Must
> >explore later.
> >
> I guess I never *really* read that. I think that what the appdb is today is
> not the original conception. From what I can decipher form other clues
> there was an idea that the appdb would contain all the windows calls that a
> program made. while this seems like good idea perhaps it was not a
> practical one.
I thought that this was decided to be the job of an "apidb" a long time ago?
(5 years ago, that is)

But OTOH it's probably more useful as an addon to the appdb indeed,
since we have all application management structures in one central place
already, so it makes sense to keep it together...

Greetings from abnormally bad-weathered China,

Andreas Mohr