A call to fix the BeginPaint issue

Rein Klazes wijn at wanadoo.nl
Sun Feb 13 06:52:37 CST 2005

On 12 Feb 2005 20:42:37 +0100, you wrote:

> Nick Hornback <vidar268 at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Alright, this is probably the last time I will bring
> > it up before I realize that there is essentially no
> > interest in fixing this, but this has been bothering
> > me for quite some time now. A few others have brought
> > it up over the past couple months as well.
>
> There is a lot of interest in fixing it, but it's far from trivial
> especially for apps that I don't have. You can help by posting traces
> (+server,+win,+message is usually a good start) of the offending
> behavior.

ClipRgn.exe has the same or a similar problem. It uses GetDCEx instead
of BeginPaint when it wants a different clip region then the default.

ClipRgn.exe can be downloaded from:
http://www.codeproject.com/gdi/ClipRgnGuide/ClipRgn_demo.zip
Sources are here:
http://www.codeproject.com/gdi/ClipRgnGuide/ClipRgn_src.zip

(free registration for www.codeproject.com required)

Describing article is at
http://www.codeproject.com/gdi/cliprgnguide.asp

To reproduce the bug:
- start ClipRgn.exe
- select from the View menu, "Manual System Region"
- draw a clip region with the mouse and left button held down.
- force a WM_PAINT event by obscuring and exposing its window.
(screen flickers from an endless repainting)

You may want to apply the FrameRgn fix that I sent today first, so you
can see the clip region.

Rein.