A call to fix the BeginPaint issue

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Feb 14 08:12:02 CST 2005

Paul Vriens <Paul.Vriens at xs4all.nl> writes:

> I remembered am email on wine-devel a while ago:
>
> http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2004/10/0139.html
>
> I hoped this was relevant and tested out his redraw.c tests. They all
> succeed on my win98/winnt/win2k and winxp machines and fail on Wine:
>
> [paul at penguin tests]$ make redraw.ok
> ../../../tools/runtest -q -P wine -M user32.dll -T ../../.. -p
> user32_test.exe.so redraw.c && touch redraw.ok
> redraw.c:121: Test failed: LB_SETTOPINDEX: Listbox should redraw itself
> redraw.c:149: Test failed: EM_REPLACESEL: Single-line edit control
> should redraw itself
> redraw.c:155: Test failed: EM_SETSEL: Single-line edit control should
> redraw itself
> redraw.c:161: Test failed: WM_CUT: Single-line edit control should
> redraw itself
> redraw.c:167: Test failed: WM_PASTE: Single-line edit control should
> redraw itself
>
> Although the mail talks about redrawing listboxes and edit-controls,
> could this also be true for windows/controls in general?

Not in general, but yes there are a number of cases where redraws are
synchronous on Windows and there are some apps that depend on that. It
wasn't done that way in Wine mostly because it caused a lot of
unnecessary refreshes, but now that we no longer get expose events on
child windows we can move towards more synchronous behavior.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org