[shell32tests/shelllink.c] Use aliases for ordinals (resend/rediff)

Paul Vriens Paul.Vriens at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 16 13:11:04 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 19:53, Francois Gouget wrote:
> Paul Vriens wrote:
> >
> > Changelog:
> >    Use aliases for calls to ordinals.
>
> I don't think that's what the consensus says, if a consensus there is in
> the first place.
>
> If I understand Filip Navara's patch correctly, it shows that the fix
> belongs in MinGW's shell32.def file. And if that's the case then I'm
> arguing this test should remain as is.
>
> As I understand it, once MinGW's file is fixed, the compiler sees that
> there is an ordinal associated to SHSimpleIDListFromPath and then
> generates an executable which imports SHSimpleIDListFromPath by ordinal.
> This seems to be exactly what Visual C++ does on Windows.
>
> It's perfectly acceptable to import SHSimpleIDListFromPath by name in
> programs compiled using Visual C++, and the resulting executable works
> even if shell32.dll exports this API by ordinal only. Our conformance
> tests should reflect that. That's because they are meant to reflect the
> Windows behavior (not the MinGW one), including where compilation and
> linking are concerned.
That will leave us (for a unknown period) with a non-working winetest.
And as Paul Millar stated that will be the case numerous times. So maybe
we should use the patch and as soon as MingW is fixed put the calls to
the names back? For now calling ordinals doesn't seem that bad as the
compiled versions (as you've stated) will do the same.

I thought that the main purpose of conformance tests was to check the
behavior on windows. If a windows program calls (somehow directly)
SHSimpleIDListFromPath and friends, it will fail. The fact that the
compiler 'translates' the call into a ordinal shouldn't matter then for
conformance testing.

Cheers,

Paul.