Microsoft genuine downloads looking for wine

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Thu Feb 17 04:23:52 CST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:45:11 +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Let's wait until they actually do something bad before we go around
> accusing them, shall we?

Bear in mind, the reason they're doing this is almost certainly because
they know that Wine users often go there to fill in missing pieces from
Wine. Currently native DCOM does not seem to be protected, but native MSI
is and also MDAC, Windows Media Player and Windows Scripting Host.

As far as I'm concerned, this *is* bad:

1) It may make the lives of Wine users harder as they now have to deal
   with blocked validations (I suspect their standalone tool will get some
   bugfixes shortly)

2) It may mean there is more to come. As Ivan said, this is the first time
   they've done something like this - possibly not the last.

thanks -mike