"bachelor project" with wine ?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Feb 21 19:37:03 CST 2005

Joris Huizer wrote:

> I'm supposed to choose a topic - and work it out - for a "bachelor
> project";
> Now, at the moment I have no clue, and teachers are discussing what
> topics to hand; in the mean time, I think maybe it might be interesting
> to do some wine work in such a form that it's ok for this "bachelor
> project" :)
>
> This project is supposed to be something like 308 hours; and of course,
> it should be possible to show something interesting at the end of that.
> About my background, I have a few years of (simple) programming
> experience (in C and C++, mostly) and most of that was done under linux
> -- just school programs most of the time; I don't have much experience
> with X programming and *none at all* with winapi;
> Is there a "project"/are there "projects" in wine, suitable for this?

Absolutely.  I'm sure others will suggest more ideas, but here's
my suggestion: add some test cases to the Wine conformance
test suite.  I am mentoring about 14 college students doing
this right now for college credit; four are doing it for a whole
year, ten are doing it for a single semester.
They are finding it appropriately challenging, and I think you will, too.
See http://www.kegel.com/wine/sweng/ for the step-by-step instructions
I wrote up for the semester class.  (I'll be revising that as the
semester continues to address issues found by the students.)

Good luck, and feel free to write me with any questions!
- Dan