question about the status of the wine printing system

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Mon Jan 3 12:16:20 CST 2005

Hi,

I'm having some kind of hard time with wine's printing capabilities and
have already started digging the wine sources for potential fixes to my
problems (printing to some high volume postscript printers from some
Adobe applications).

But before I proceed any further, I would be grateful for some basic
information on wine's printing system (unfortunately the documentation
on this issue is somewhat "limited" :-)

* Postscript level
Googling the net some resources indicate that wine only supports
postscript level 1 printing. Is this still true as of now? Does this
also affect CUPS environments?

* Postscript level vs. PPDs
If wine only supports language level 1, why then does generic.ppd have
its LanguageLevel set to 3?

* starting point
Most of the printing tasks are obviously handled by the stuff in
dlls/wineps/*. Any other important nodes?

happy hacking

Udo Rader

--
b e s t s o l u t i o n . a t                        EDV Systemhaus GmbH
udo rader              technischer leiter/CEM   mobile  ++43 660 5263642