dcom95.exe removed from sf.net

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Jan 4 08:56:00 CST 2005

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:21:10 +0100, Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:
> Jeremy, we got this reply from the sourceforge staff, please remove the file.

Why don't you ask them why they're hosting the core fonts which are not
open source licensed then? Actually don't bother, we don't want to cause
the font guys hassle too. The policy is quite clearly there to stop
proprietary software companies using the SF mirror network to distribute
their own products, not to stop open source projects hosting downloads
that will be useful to the Linux community.

Really Ivan, you may be technically in the right here, but the fact is
you should absolutely have discussed this on wine-devel first. That file
is referenced by various third party scripts/howtos and such, I know this
because I've written these things before. By taking this matter into your
own hands and not discussing it first you went behind the backs of the
community and broke a lot of code and documentation by doing so. My IE
installer script is one example iirc, but I'm sure there are others.

Your admin access on Sourceforge is so you can upload the Mandrake RPMs,
it is *not* so you can interfere with decisions that were made a long
time ago at will. Please remember that in future.

thanks -mike