Debugging mingw applications using wine

Bryce McKinlay mckinlay at redhat.com
Tue Jan 4 16:18:40 CST 2005

Eric Pouech wrote:

> Bryce McKinlay a écrit :
>
>> I'm trying to debug a windows .exe built with mingw using wine, but
>> winedbg seems to have problems reading stabs from the mingw-built
>> binary. My goal is to be able to debug a cross-compiled, native Java
>> (GCJ) application, but even a simple C "hello world" seems to cause
>> problems.
>
> winedbg using the gdb won't work here because (likely on unix) gdb
> isn't compiled with proper 'stabs in PE' support
>
> you can either:
> - use bare winedbg (without gdb support)
> - recompile gdb with 'stabs in PE' support (ie the settings used when
> compiling gdb under windows)

Could you give any hints as to how to configure GDB with 'stabs in PE'
support? The only reference I could find in the GDB documentation is:

"6.4.5 PE

Windows 95 and NT use the PE (/Portable Executable/) format for their
executables. PE is basically COFF with additional headers.

While BFD includes special PE support, GDB needs only the basic COFF
reader."

Is there a configure option to enable this support in the standard
BFD/GDB code? (I'm using GDB from CVS head) - or are special patches
required? How did you get/build the GDB you use?

Thanks!

Bryce