Announcing security hardened kernels for testing

pageexec at freemail.hu pageexec at freemail.hu
Thu Jan 6 05:19:56 CST 2005

> http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/ntdll/
>
> It's fairly harmless, there is some assembly in there but I don't
> remember seeing any code which assumed an executable stack.

i've looked at it and as i suggested yesterday, it's a false positive.
what happens here is that relay32.s doesn't emit a .note.GNU-stack
section at all, which when linked together with other .o files that
do, will result in an executable PT_GNU_STACK program header. the
solution is to add

.section	.note.GNU-stack,"", at progbits

to relat32.s and it'll be ok. alternatively, you can forcefully assemble
with --noexecstack or link the .so with '-z noexecstack' (or -Wl,-z,noexecstack
for gcc) which will override the .note.GNU-stack markings.