Pirates! under wine

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 15:59:00 CST 2005

 --- Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:44:37 +0000, Oliver Stieber
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  I've been working on DirectX 9 over the past week
>
> > and have managed to get Sid Meier's Pirates!
> > http://www.atari.com/pirates/pirates/index.php
> >  working better than it does for me under cedega
> (see
> > screenshot attached) along with quite a few demos
> > using Directx 9.
>
> Wow, cool! How well does this game actually work for
> you, does it need
> much messing about to make it run properly? Does it
> install correctly etc?
>
> It'd be really great if we could get this game
> running
> perfectly out-the-box even if it's only for a little
> while :)
>
> thanks -mike

I'm getting memory allocation problems after quite a
bit of game play, no videos yet, I haven't tried
installing and I always use no-cd patches.

The speeds a bit choppy, but playable, and there are a
few minor graphics gliches (I've got a test case for
one so it shouldn't be too hard to fix) I would rather
have slow gameplay than buggy gameplay.

Out of the box installs require a bit more than
DirectX but hopefully the OLE and MSI work that's been
going on lately should help that out.

I'm also thinking working on half-life 2 and possibly
WoW and Sim 2 as some point, but I may just try to get
the DirectX 9 implementation as complete as possible
first. [unless the makers of Sim 2 give me enough
money to pay the rent!]