DCE 1.2.2 released under LGPL license (strategically important for Wine)

Rob Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Sun Jan 16 17:51:54 CST 2005

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>>I already checked out FreeDCE and the newly released DCE-RPC several days
>>ago. Neither provides a DCOM implementation, neither resembles what we
>>need. We may be able to take some code or ideas from them with some work
>>to massage it, but there's not much of use there.
>>

>dear mike,
>
>you are correct about DCE 1.2.2 not containing DCOM: it is
>FreeDCE that does.
>
>other than that - with all due respect, and if i understand
>you correctly: you are wrong [or looking in the wrong place]
>
>see this:
>
>	http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/freedce/freedce/dcom/dcom.h?rev=1.1&view=markup
>
>which has been available for just over four years, now.

I hope you're joking. A DCOM implementation is more than a header file
containing a few comments and a few declarations of Win32 functions that
are randomly placed in there.

>are you _seriously_ intending to reimplement the DCE/RPC IDL
>compiler - because that's what's required!!!

We already have our own IDL parser. The only step left is for it to
generate appropriate type format strings in the same format as Microsoft
use.

>DCOM is DCE/RPC underneath: DCOM even has the uuids and
>transports of DCE/RPC.

We know.

>  DCOM is just a c++ wrapper on top of
>some underlying c APIs,

No, it is an object oriented wrapper for normal RPC interfaces where a
state parameter representing the object is implicitly passed to the
function. It has nothing to do with the language.

> and from what i can gather, you "up"
>the revision numbers of the interfaces, which DCE/RPC can even
>do for you.

No. DCOM interfaces always have a version number of 0.0. To create
extend an interface you must create a new interface. Microsoft typically
appends a number to the interface name and makes the new one inherit
from the old one. I suggest you take a few minutes to read the DCOM
draft specification, which should clear up a few misconceptions.

>perhaps i should put you in touch with wez furlong who did
>the original FreeDCE DCOM work.

What DCOM work?

>you _cannot_ be serious about reinventing the 250,000 lines
>of c code required to properly support DCE/RPC which is a
>prerequisite for supporting DCOM.

I think you're over estimating by a factor of 2.5 there. Sure, it is a
large undertaking, but one that we can do one step at a time. We don't
have to implement *every* protocol to start with and we don't have to
implement every Ndr data type.

>i can understand the samba team doing that, but _another_
>project doing it???
>
>please tell me i am wrong in believing that you are giving
>serious consideration to a _third_ DCE/RPC runtime and
>development environment, to compete with samba 4's GPL'd
>implementation which is in development and with FreeDCE's
>complete reference implementation which is available under an
>OSF 1.0 BSD-like license.

No other project has implemented an API that is compatible to
Microsoft's yet.

Rob