DCE 1.2.2 released under LGPL license (strategically important for Wine)

Wez Furlong wez at thebrainroom.com
Sun Jan 16 16:44:26 CST 2005

I've been distant from DCE for a little while, so I don't have all the
details at the tip of my brain.

Luke isn't quite correct, but is mostly correct :-)

FreeDCE doesn't contain a working DCOM implementation.  The following
areas need(ed) some work for that:

1/ NTLMSSP (which we now have in freedce, thanks to Luke)
2/ The rpcd/endpoint mapper needs awareness of ORPC and implement one or
two ORPC specific services in order to maintain the lifetime of remotely
activated components.
3/ The IDL compiler and marshalling stubs need awareness of ORPC
4/ On top of that, the local COM library needs to be implemented

Filling out these areas is *massively less work* than re-implementing
DCE-RPC; I made a fair start on (2) and (3) 4 years ago, but lack of
interest from the world at large (and a need to pay my bills) caused it
to be put on hold.

Please believe me when I say that there is a large amount of non-trivial
code in there; I have huge respect for the people that wrote it and the
amount of time that it took to get it there.  Don't forget that this is
production quality code that has been used by huge players for years.  I
pity anyone that would think of taking on the task of re-implementing
it, not because it's nasty but because it's a *huge* effort.

While I can't commit development time right at this moment (I'm booked
up with the PHP project in most of my "free" time), I am happy to help
in any other way that I can; I researched the implementation of DCOM
quite heavily back then, so I probably have a better idea than most
about getting it done.

--Wez.

PS: I'd *love* to have someone sponsor my employer (omniti.com) to have
me work on getting this implemented.