DCE 1.2.2 released under LGPL license (strategically important for Wine)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jan 17 15:52:32 CST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 05:51:54PM -0600, Rob Shearman wrote:

> We already have our own IDL parser. The only step left is for it to
> generate appropriate type format strings in the same format as Microsoft
> use.

 i believe i know what you are referring to: matthew chapman wrote a
 reverser which looked for the state table, looking for the uuid and
 then offsetting from that in order to decode the state table _back_
 into an IDL file - without of course the function names and variable
 and structure names.

 FreeDCE's IDL compiler has almost EXACTLY the same state table.

 why?

 because FreeDCE is the DCE 1.1 reference implementation which is
 available and has been available for approx ten years under the
 OSF 1.0 BSD-compatible license, so _guess_ where microsoft got their
 IDL compiler from?

 :)

 believe me when i say that duplicating this code is just... nuts when
 it already exists.

 l.