DCE 1.2.2 released under LGPL license (strategically important for Wine)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jan 17 15:58:54 CST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 05:44:26PM -0500, Wez Furlong wrote:
> I've been distant from DCE for a little while, so I don't have all the
> details at the tip of my brain.
>
> Luke isn't quite correct, but is mostly correct :-)

 burblburble never truer...

> FreeDCE doesn't contain a working DCOM implementation.

 ah - i wasn't aware of that.

> The following
> areas need(ed) some work for that:
>
> 1/ NTLMSSP (which we now have in freedce, thanks to Luke)

 and GSS-API thanks to luke howard [although it's not needed for
 DCOM]

> 2/ The rpcd/endpoint mapper needs awareness of ORPC and implement one or
> two ORPC specific services in order to maintain the lifetime of remotely
> activated components.

 which jelmer of the samba team is aware of because he has _also_
 started implementing DCOM.

> 3/ The IDL compiler and marshalling stubs need awareness of ORPC
> 4/ On top of that, the local COM library needs to be implemented

> Filling out these areas is *massively less work* than re-implementing
> DCE-RPC; I made a fair start on (2) and (3) 4 years ago, but lack of
> interest from the world at large (and a need to pay my bills) caused it
> to be put on hold.

 thank you for filling in the areas in which my knowledge was hazy
 about what was involved.

> Please believe me when I say that there is a large amount of non-trivial
> code in there; I have huge respect for the people that wrote it and the
> amount of time that it took to get it there.  Don't forget that this is
> production quality code that has been used by huge players for years.

 ibm, dec, fujitsu, entegrity, arthur anderson, HP - about the only
 people who _haven't_ really used it are sun microsystems because they
 are known to always chase after money, taking people off projects and
 putting them on others - so nobody in their right mind would consider
 awarding them a $500m contract.