DCE 1.2.2 released under LGPL license (strategically important for Wine)

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Tue Jan 18 12:55:46 CST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:57:15 +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  ?  uhn??
>
>  sorry, are you saying that no data goes out over-the-wire over
>  a network, in your implementation?

Yes.

>  as i understand it, the only way for DCOM to not use RPC is
>  for you to implement COM, not DCOM.

We have an implementation of DCOM based on the Wine emulation of named
pipes. It uses a custom protocol over that transport not based on RPC. As
time goes by we will flip it on top of RPC but this is not a super-high
priority, because the current code is sufficient for many (most) apps.

And FYI we don't particularly care about regedit being able to connect to
remote registries. That's not a feature users are asking for.

Here's an idea - why don't you actually go read the Wine source code, and
then you'd have an idea of how our DCOM works, and why we are saying the
things we are. Even better, if you want to help us implement it, by all
means start submitting patches. There's a TODO list in CVS.

thanks -mike