Question about testing SHQueryValueExA in shlwapi/tests/shreg.c

Paul Vriens Paul.Vriens at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 18 13:00:07 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 23:33, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:05:59 +0100, Paul Vriens wrote:
> > Wine and Win98 leave the buffer intact (the contents and thus size
> > differ however)
> > WinXPProf and W2KProf clear (so it seems) the buffer.
>
> That's why it's tested - MSDN is useful but not what we care about. You
> can guarantee if NT clears the buffer, somebody somewhere will have
> written an app which relies on it (or vice-versa).

OK. It's one thing to make the tests pass but another to have Wine act a
certain way.

- If there are so many different results, how can one cater for that in
the tests? Having a lot of different possible results for a test to pass
looks a bit strange.

- Wine currently acts (with certain data) different than all the
mentioned OS's. How do we cater in Wine for all the differences, or is
win98 the default?

Paul.