Font selection logic defective?

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 17:00:54 CST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:08:17PM -0800, Bill Medland wrote:
> (Huw?)
>
> Do I need to dig deeper to understand this or is there a defect in the logic.
> If there are ttf fonts available does that mean a poor ttf match will be
> selected even when a better x11drv font is available?

Yes that's right, and also intentional.  It's basically impossible to
do proper font support with server side fonts, so if we have any fonts
we can use on the client side then we'll do client side rendering.

> What should we do?  Get the font matching logic to look at both the sets of
> fonts?  Or add some sort of "Ignore these fonts" list in the Wine fonts area?

If you really want to disable client side font rendering in the x11drv
you can do so by adding two keys to the [x11drv] section of the config
file:

; Use the Render extension to render client side fonts (default "Y")
"ClientSideWithRender" = "N"
; Fallback on X core requests to render client side fonts (default "Y")
"ClientSideWithCore" = "N"
; Set both of the previous two to "N" in order to force X11 server side fonts