Font selection logic defective?

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Thu Jan 20 09:37:11 CST 2005

On January 20, 2005 03:31 am, Huw D M Davies wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 05:58:59PM -0800, Bill Medland wrote:

> > > Yes that's right, and also intentional.  It's basically impossible to
> > > do proper font support with server side fonts, so if we have any fonts
> > > we can use on the client side then we'll do client side rendering.
> >
> > But surely in my case it's still client-side rendering; it's just that it
> > isn't the freetype that is doing it. (NB I haven't the faintest idea what
> > I am talking about, of course, not knowing much about freetype)
>
> No, when there are no TrueType fonts then Wine lets the XServer do the
> font rendering and thus uses the fonts that the XServer knows about.
> This is server-side rendering.  Unfortunately the X11 protocol doesn't
> give nearly enough control over the rendering to emulate the win32 api
> font capabilities, so we really try to use client-side font
> rendering whenever possible.
>
> > Basically what is frustrating me here is that a client's perfectly good
> > Enterprise level operating system comes with a plethora of fonts, only a
> > couple of which are ttf and our system selects from that small list
> > instead of the much larger list (which presumably freetype supports but
> > we don't) and there is no way to stop it.
>
> At some point we should add support of Type1 PostScript fonts and this
> may help.
>
> > The only option available seems to me to be to
> > install (illegally?) the appropriate Microsoft ttf fonts (e.g. Arial).
>
> If you really want the output to look like Windows then this is the
> only solution.  I suggest you read the EULA of these fonts.

No No No

I want it to look, after installing OpenOffice, the way it looked before I
installed OpenOffice.

It works perfectly adequately for me (and for our clients, hopefully) when it
doesn't try to use the few ttf fonts that it finds and simply falls back on
the XServer.
However your settings for the xlldrv section didn't seem to make a difference.

--
Bill Medland
Programmer