MSI: indentation and style cleanup

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Mon Jan 24 02:02:56 CST 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 05:16:45PM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:

> Given that it can be quite complex and introduce new bugs, and given that
> it's really quite a useless feature IMHO as modern Linux boxes will hang
> themselves in swap hell before returning NULL from malloc I don't think
> this should be a janitorial project.

While I agree this may be not an easy thing to do without looking at the
whole code very throughly I think saying that it doesn't help at all because
on Linux you will never get this problem is a little shortsighted. Wine
doesn't only compile for Linux and there might be other systems with a very
straightforward swapping system which will run out of memory before the disk
dies from overactivity. Also who says that the next version of Linux or some
sort of stress test extension, a security hardened kernel, or a memory quota
system on user basis or whatever, will not add an easy to get into out of memory
situation. Couldn't Solaris for instance limit the memory available to users
on a user base eventhough there are loads and loads of physical memory still
available?

Rolf Kalbermatter