PerformanceCounterFrequency fix.

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Jan 25 12:30:04 CST 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 06:44:04PM +0100, Rein Klazes wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:08:56 +0100, you wrote:
>
> > > How bad is it to use the gettimeofday() method?
> >
> > In my opinion, the RTDSC method should be suppressed from the code and we
> > should always use the 'gettimeofday' method (despite the penalty hit of a
> > syscall).
>
> I was more concerned about the accuracy of gettimeofday (not
> incrementing in usec's). So I did a small test and I find it behaves
> very nicely.
>
> That was the only reason I could see to justify the rdtsc method, so
> here it goes. As the cpuHz variable is not used anymore, we might as
> well move it to ntdll.
(sorry for not replying earlier - no time :-\)
I'm not sure why you'd want to base it on gettimeofday().
This is a terrible idea IMHO.
I'm quite certain that many programs use that function for extremely time critical code
(games, anyone??), and that thus the Windows function is equally highly optimized,
certainly much less slow than a gettimeofday() call.

This should remain based on rdtsc IMHO, or on equally suitable and fast methods
(ACPI counter, ...).

Or did you actually test it with programs calling it a large number of times,
or test its performance behaviour on Windows?

Andreas Mohr