[Fwd: Wine-Wiki.org]

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Tue Jan 25 20:03:39 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 22:28 +0100, Jonathan Ernst wrote:
> Le mardi 25 janvier 2005 à 21:13 +0100, Michael Drüing a écrit :
> > Here's something I noticed when I last wanted to find some info in the
> > AppDB. Browsing through the database is really well organized, but what I
> > find a bit confusing was the "Rating with Windows" and "Rating without
> > Windows" graphs in the version-overview of some application. What do 3 or 4
> > stars there really mean? Do users like this app? use this app? Or does it
> > have to do with how well the app runs under Wine? If so, then why is there a
> > "rating with Windows" at all? Normally you already know/use the app you are
> > looking for, and if not, you'd select an app by how well it runs in wine,
> > right? So either way, you don't really care for a "Rating with Windows" (at
> > least I dont ;-)
>
> "Rating with Windows" mean rating when using a real windows partition.
> This rating might have good reasons to be here in the past (when most
> apps needed many native dlls) but is now regarded as a bad feature by
> some of AppDB hackers. Maybe some other readers here can say what they
> think about the removal of this feature ?

It should be removed, and if we are going to replace it, it should be
"rating with custom DLLs" or something like that.  That way we can
indicate if it requires something like native DCOM to run.

Also, I eagerly anticipate the maintainer ratings patches, as those will
be much more important for getting useful information about how well a
program works than the voting.

-Scott Ritchie