[Fwd: Wine-Wiki.org]

Jonathan Ernst Jonathan at ErnstFamily.ch
Thu Jan 27 03:30:47 CST 2005

Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net wrote:
> [...]
>
>> How is that really different than this.
>>
>> http://appdb.winehq.org/help/?topic=maintainer_ratings
>>
>> The Maintainer rating system is meant for "supported" applications.
>

> That's the thing. There is no such thing as a 'supported application' in
> Wine, at least the way I understand 'supported':
>  * there is no garantee a 'supported' application will continue to work
> in the next version of Wine. That's because Alexandre does not try each
> 'supported' application to make sure it still works before making a
> release.
>
>  * there's no Wine hacker to fix a 'supported' application if it breaks.
> Having an application maintainer for each 'supported' application is
> important and a first step towards making sure it will continue to work.
> But it's not sufficient. If it breaks it will need a Wine developer to
> look into it and debug it and I don't see any one proposing to do it or
> able to garantee this.
>
>  * There's no garantee that a Gold application will not regress to
> Silver, Bronze or even lower.
>
>  * And finally I don't see any Wine hacker proposing any specific
> 'support' for the 'supported' applications.
>
> So these 'supported' applications are no different from any other
> application and the medals mean nothing more than the old rating system.
> They just have 4 levels instead of 6.

I think having more than 3-4 levels is too much by the way; it's much
too hard to rate an application in such small quality steps.

As for application that could regress from gold to another rating, I
think that's not a problem as when a maintainer rates an application he
states what version of Wine he was using (next drop down box after the
maintainer rating).

I even started to track an history of application ratings for the apps I
maintain: each time I retest an application I update the application
rating AND the history table so that someone can figure out that an
application was working better with an older wine release.

See here for examples:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1533&versionId=2230
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=2&versionId=764

Maybe we could add a feature that'll keep track of maintainer rating
automatically and produce an history table like the one I'm adding to
the application version descriptions automatically.

Le jeudi 27 janvier 2005 à 00:00 +0100, Francois Gouget a écrit :
> > If it was up to me I would eliminate the the user rating. (But thats me.)
>
> I would not be strongly opposed to this.

I would eliminate this rating too (both with/without windows).