[Fwd: Wine-Wiki.org]

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jan 27 14:41:51 CST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net wrote:
[...]
>> And no, we cannot make 'stable' releases today. Some of the criteria for
>> 0.9 are: completing the window management rewrite, good enough dll
>> separation and stabilizing the wineserver protocol. We're close on some of
>> these goals but there's still work. And as far as I know there won't be
>> stable releases before we reach 0.9.
>>
> That's again circular. One of the things that need to be in place for 0.9 is
> a stable release cycle.

No you have it reversed. There's no point to put in place a complex
release cycle if the code itself is not somwehat stable (i.e. we don't
rewrite core subsystems anymore).

So first we must make the code stable and that's what 0.9 is about. Once
we have stabilized the core code and architecture of Wine we can think
about putting into place procedures for making a new Wine release.

> Which of these more resonable entry for the "Maintainers Guide"?

Neither. Here's a rough draft.

--- cut here ---

What are the tasks of an application maintainer?

  * Give a short description of the application.

    This is not the most important task but it's still good to describe
what the application does. This description should be short and ideally
you would accompany it with screenshots of the application running in
Wine (assuming it does run in Wine).

  * Find the best way to install and run the application.

    The application may not work or even install the first time you try
it. Don't give up just yet. Try the tricks described there <link to
document describing how to install and run apps>. The goal here is to
get the application working as best as possible by tweaking the Wine
environment.

  * Restart from scratch and optimize your setup.

    Once you have found some settings that seem to work, wipe out your
.wine directory and start over. This is so you can verify that the
result you obtained is reproducible and that you did not forget some
steps or configuration tweaks.
    Also, this time try to only use application-specific settings for dll
overrides and such. This is important to minimize the conflicts between
applications.

  * Describe how to install and run the application.

    Hopefully you kept notes while working on the previous task because
now you will have to describe what you have done.
    Configuring Wine so an application runs well is hard, there are a lot
of options and combinations to try and most Wine users won't have the
time or patience to go through it all. This is why this task is probably
the most important: it lets the other Wine users benefit from your hard
earned experience in running this application as best as possible.
    So describe carefully the Wine configuration options to use. Don't
hesitate to include the relevant configuration file snippets, especially
those application specific sections which users can just drop in at the
end of their configuration file. Also, don't forget to mention any
pre-requisites to installing the application such as installing Internet
Explorer or other software the application depends upon. Finally you may
want to provide the command line to use to start the application as this
is not always obvious, especially if the application needs a specific
working directory.

  * Describe what works and what does not.

    Potential users of this application will want to know which features
are usable and which are not. It is only armed with this information
that they will be able to determine whether the application is usable
for them or not.
    Of course if the application does not work this will be simple. If
the application does work, then try to exercise its various modules
like: opening and saving files, importing and exporting files,
printing, the print preview mode, etc.
    If there is an area that you were not able to test (e.g. printing
because you have no printer), mention it too.

  * Rate the application.

    Rate the application as described there <link to the ratings
guidelines>. The work you did in the above step will come in handy to
determine the appropriate rating.

  * Report the problems.

    If in the above steps you have identified reproducible issues, report
them in Bugzilla as described there <link to the bug reporting howto>.

  * Test the application on a regular basis.

    Ideally you would test it once a week so that you can quickly notify
the Wine developers of any regression. The earlier a Wine regression is
noticed, the easier it will be to locate the change that causing it and
the more likely it is to be fixed.
    At the very least you should test the application with each Wine
release. If you detect a regression at that point it is likely you will
have to go through regression testing to identify the patch causing the
problem.
    Also mention any stability problem.

  * Help users who have trouble getting the application to work as well as
you.

    People will want to follow in your footsteps but some may stumble
along the way. Try to work out with them why stuff that works for you
does not work for them. Maybe they changed a global Wine setting that
interfers with your application. Maybe that global Wine setting is
needed to run another application. Try to see if there's a way to get
both applications working.
    This includes monitoring the application forum to make sure it
remains on topic and to remove obsolete information.

While these steps are given in a seemingly logical order, you will
probably have to iterate a bit, especially between the application
testing and configuration tweaking steps.

--- cut here ---

                   A black hole is just God dividing by zero.