PRESS: run windows viruses with wine ...

Hiji hijinio at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 15:02:44 CST 2005

--- Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Mike Hearn wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:29:08 -0600, Brad DeMorrow
> wrote:
> >> Many also seem to be worried that a virus under
> wine could do damage to
> >> their other partition with windows installed.  I
> tell them that without
> >> an entry in Wine's configuration for that virtual
> drive - any pure
> >> windows application wouldn't even know that such
> a drive existed.
> >
> > That's not quite right, some viruses just do a
> recursive search for all PE
> > EXE/DLL files. They will find a real Windows drive
> eventually if it's
> > mounted r/w as drive z: makes the whole system
> available.
>
> Yes but that's an important point. As you are not
> running as root, you
> may not have write access to the files in that
> Windows partition. And
> thus it would be safe.
>
> Of course this depends on how your system is
> configured but I know this
> is how mine is configured and I don't think it is an
> unusual setup (but
> I don't have hard statistics to back it up so I may
> be wrong).

Here's something to add into the mix...

I'm not quite sure how other Linux distros work, but
Sun's JDS mounts any Windows partitions under
/windows/[drive letter] .  IIRC, Wine makes drive Z
the root.  So, a virus theoretically could go through
each drive, eventually hit Z drive, and then from
there, get to the Windows partitions -- that is, if
the partitions are Fat32, it can do damage.

Hiji