[AppDB] Proposed Maintainer Guide

Jonathan Ernst Jonathan at ErnstFamily.ch
Sat Jan 29 09:32:55 CST 2005

Le samedi 29 janvier 2005 à 15:10 +0100, Francois Gouget a écrit :
> The Application Database is missing a description of the job of an
> Application Maintainer. So I cleaned up the Maintainer Guide I posted
> earlier and prepared it for integration into the Application Database
> site.
>
> I attached it to this email for review. Let me know if there is
> anything missing, things to change, etc.
>
> --
> Francois Gouget         fgouget at free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
>             Cahn's Axiom: When all else fails, read the instructions.

Both documents seems very good to me.

In the "Maintainer Guide" I'd separate add description from add
screenshots as they require two different/separate actions.

Still in this guide, I'll try to ask maintainer to keep an history of
tested versions/wine version/install/run/rating so that it's easy to see
the regressions and improvements of wine. (see example here:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1533&versionId=2230)

Finally I'll give some more guidlines like:
- delete comments that are getting meaningless
- don't add hundreds of version for each program but use wildcards when
versions are using the same codebase (like 2.x, 3.x and not 2.01a,
2.01b, etc. but keep the whole version number in the history; see here
for an example:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=2&versionId=764)
- put How-to's in an How-to note an not in the version or application
description and check that How-to's are still having a meaning for the
currently tested wine version (maybe some steps are not needed anymore)

I hope you can formulate this better than me if you think it's worth
adding some of these points.