Slick build output

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Jan 31 09:41:04 CST 2005

Jason But <jbut at swin.edu.au> writes:

> - I have been a developer for 20 years and nothing frustrates me more than
> make output that is over complicated.  I see the point of printing the full
> command line when developing and debugging the Makefile and the make process.
> Once this is fixed however, I prefer a simple output from make telling me
> what is currently being compiled, I don't need to see all output every time.

It's pretty trivial to write a make wrapper that massages the output
into whatever form you prefer. This way you get your preferred format
with every project you build, you don't have to impose your tastes on
everybody else, and you avoid adding complexity (and non-portable
code) into our makefiles.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org