Slick build output

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Mon Jan 31 11:23:35 CST 2005

Alexandre Julliard wrote:

>Jason But <jbut at swin.edu.au> writes:
>

>>- I have been a developer for 20 years and nothing frustrates me more than
>>make output that is over complicated.  I see the point of printing the full
>>command line when developing and debugging the Makefile and the make process.
>>Once this is fixed however, I prefer a simple output from make telling me
>>what is currently being compiled, I don't need to see all output every time.
>>

>It's pretty trivial to write a make wrapper that massages the output
>into whatever form you prefer.

Unless it's in CVS, only one person will benefit from it. That's not the
open-source way.

>This way you get your preferred format
>with every project you build, you don't have to impose your tastes on
>everybody else,

If those tastes are shared by a majority of developers, then it
shouldn't be a problem.

> and you avoid adding complexity (and non-portable
>code) into our makefiles.

Ok, this is a problem. Does this mean you won't accept any patches to
the makefiles to convert to "slick" build output?

Rob