[x11drv] d3d stencil support

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 11:28:10 CDT 2005

--- Frank Richter <frank.richter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04.07.2005 02:21, Oliver Stieber wrote:
> > Hi,
> > This patch makes sure that the OpenGL visual
> created
> > for a window has a stencil buffer.
> > This is a requirement for stencil buffer support
> in d3d.
>
> Hm, isn't it possible that on some pathetic hardware
> or when lower color
> depths are used (e.g. 16bpp) stencil is not
> supported and that software
> emulation instead of hardware acceleration may be
> used? Wouldn't it be
> better to somehow query for a stencil buffer only
> when really needed?
> Just a thought.

OpenGL requires that a stencil is supported for at
least on of the modes, the problem with creating a
stencil buffer only when needed is that the windows
and hence the visual ID is created before directx is
loaded and I don't think that directx should be
messing with anything that's come out of x11drv just
incase it causes regression somewhere else.

There it should only be the additional memory  usage
that causes a negitive impact on performance if the
driver uses software for stencil buffers and the
stencil buffer isn't used.