Running Palm Desktop

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Mon Jul 4 18:30:02 CDT 2005

Hi Stefan,
I've got good news. I got Palm Desktop to install. :) All you need to do
is setup IE first, with the instructions you gave me.  Then, some dirty
work:

1. Install native Windows Installer manually. To do this, install dcom98
first. Then run instmsia.exe. The install will complain, but it will
leave behind all the files you need in Windows\Installer\InstMsi0. Copy
all the files in there to Windows\system, and set msi.dll and
msiexec.exe to native.

2. Install Windows Script 5.6. You can download it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a8a18f6-249c-4a72-bfcf-fc6af26dc390&DisplayLang=en
Keep in mind that it's the English version though. To install it, set
setupapi to builtin and run the file.

3. Run Palm Desktop setup like normal, and it will install everything
you need.

Of course, running palm desktop is a different story (there is a crash
in WinMM that stops it from running) but I'm pretty sure we can get
hotsync to work if we can figure out how to set up the serial ports.

James