Palm Hotsync and usbserial: New Findings

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Thu Jul 7 15:17:05 CDT 2005

I'm not using a "real" adapter. I'm using the visor driver that is used
to sync a USB palm with things like pilot-link. This driver emulates a
serial port in much the same way that a real one does, or so I think. I
was just pointing out that people have similar behavior with real
adapters, so I thought it might be relevant. The visor driver calls
itself a "serial converter", and it does add USB entries in my /dev/tts
folder like a real adapter would. But, my palm cradle is plugged into an
acutal USB port. I do have access to a real USB to serial adapter
though; I'll play around with it. And another thing--I'm also looking
into that WinMM crash that keeps Palm Desktop from running. The problem
is that the function DRIVER_FindFromHDrvr is failing, returning a NULL
value, which wine tries to derefrence in MMDRV_Install, and boom--wine
crashes.

James