[Wine]june 2005 release and 'registry' ?

gslink gslink at one.net
Mon Jul 11 16:25:22 CDT 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:

 >> Eventually nobody should have to use winecfg for anything. Let's
spend our
 >> time fixing the bugs and increasing automation rather than arguing about
 >> the best way to represent a list of hacks in the UI  :)

I think the reality is that winecfg is going to hang round for a while.
   I only see patches adding to its functionality, and nobody is removing
config options.  Having a configurationless Wine is a lofty goal, but
not one that's achieveable in the short term.

It would be nice to spend a little bit of time to fix up the usability
issues that Felix has pointed out.  Opening a new window for app
specific overrides might be hard, but it would make alot more sense.

Mike

The big problem with Wine is that every time something gets improved
something quits running.  This is normal for any development and can't
be helped.  If there were 10 times the effort put into Wine we might be
able to get rid of winecfg but not as things are.  There simply isn't
the manpower.