Civilization 2

R.T. llblahll at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 11:10:53 CDT 2005

I've been using wine for a couple of years now, but I
still couldn't play my favorite game, civ2, so I
decided to give it a try and see if I could fix
anything. I'm new to wine development and its hard to
get my bearings, so I'm hoping to get some hints from
any knowledgeable persons, as to how I might tackle
this problem.

The problem I (and some other people as well, from
what I gathered from the archives) am having with civ2
is that the game is incredibly slow. More precisely,
it seems to have serious perfomance issues while
rendering, which makes the game unplayable, although
the graphics look good overall.

So I started inverstigating, running oprofile with
default settings turned up that wine spends a lot of
time in
* X11DRV_DIB_SetImageBits_8
*            MapColor
*            GetImageBits_8

Besides actually writing pixels on the screen, these
functions also convert between X's internal
representation which is 24 bit in my case, since I am
running X in 24 bits, and 8 bit as required for the
DIB. So, I tried setting X's display depth to 8 bit,
which actually made the game playable.

This leads me to conclude that the conversion between
8 and 24 bits, ties up many resources. I'm not quite
sure how to proceed from here on though.