GetOpenFileName and typing directory names into the edit box

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Mon Jul 18 22:23:07 CDT 2005

About a month and a half ago the following change was committed to CVS:

	r20659 (orig r20659):  troy | 2005-06-06 09:20:44 +1000

	Huw Davies <huw at codeweavers.com>
	If a folder is selected on Open then browse into it, otherwise we
	should return the path in the edit box whether that be a folder or a
	file.
	Don't add extensions to a folder.

One of the effects of this appears to be that when browsing for a file, you
can no longer type in the name of an existing directory and be taken straight
to that directory. Since Windows allows this, this seems to be somewhat less
than desirable.

Additionally it seems a lot of the code for FILEDLG95_OnOpen makes direct
calls to the API in cases where the IShellFolder interface could provide the
same information. It seems to me that the IShellFolder interfaces should be
preferred in such situations because the IShellFolder object is best
positioned to know how to process a path given the current context. For
instance, if we are browsing the Unix heirarchy then the UNIXFS
implementation of IShellFolder might want to allow the user to enter UNIX
directory paths (and probably *should*, since that's the type of path we are
effectively presenting to the user).