Progress with syncing a Palm with Palm Desktop

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 19:03:14 CDT 2005

Hello all,
Over the past few weeks, I have been working on syncing a Palm with Palm
Desktop and Hotsync with WINE. I have made some progress in this
endeavor. I am successfully able to sync serial based Palms on the first
try. It works flawlessly, even with third party conduits. On subsequent
tries, I have to reboot my computer before it pick up the device again.
I have also developed a patch that allows USB-to-serial converters to
work with Hotsync, and potentially other programs. I sent them to
someone, and currently I'm waiting to see what his results are. I
realize that this is probably an ill-conceived hack, but it does work in
my testing with pl2303 devices. The visor driver for USB palms doesn't
quite work yet. According to Greg Kroah-Hartman, that particular driver
is a special case, and I gather that it may need modification to work
with WINE. I'd like to get some feedback on my changes so that it can be
useful, and possibly submitted for inclusion in CVS. If anyone's
interested, I have a screenshot in the AppDB:
http://appdb.winehq.org/screenshots.php?appId=688&versionId=1043.

Thanks a lot,
James Liggett