Google "Summer of Code"

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Wed Jun 1 10:11:49 CDT 2005

Hello,

> We need more people working on app compatibility! :) Maybe we can choose
> some apps that are "nearly there" and get people to solve the last few
> bugs or alternatively make one of the projects "Bring any 3 apps up to
> Gold status in the appdb".
I've a few app suggestions:
Half-Life 1 (+Mods like Counter-Strike)
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast
Warcraft III
Microsoft Visual Basic
Microsoft Visual C++
UltraISO
Quicktime player
Anno 1602

Most Apps need only minor patches, except the 2 Star Wars games and Warcraft
III, which need Installshield to work with builtin dlls.
Is there any official Documentation what 'Gold status' means? I understand
that the app installs and runs on a fresh wine installation without any
config file changes and without installing any apps/libs that come with
windows(IE, dcom, ...).

> Really not enough Wine hackers these days (IMHO) bash away and fixing
> popular apps ... we have a lot of infrastructure and janitorial work going
> on at times, as well as filling out DLLs - all this is important but being
> able to run apps doubly so!
I have the plan to get this apps to Gold status one day, but up to now I only
made sure that there were no regressions and that these apps keep running as
they did with the past wine versions.
Once an app reaches Gold status, the biggest problem is to make sure that
there are no regressions.

I'll to check Googles "Summer of Code", it looks interesting to me :-)

Stefan