ViaVoice (98) in Wine

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Mon Jun 6 04:57:50 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Monday 06 June 2005 09:34, Andreas Mohr wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 08:49:50AM +0200, René Rebe wrote:
> > Are there some holes in some kind of mixer interface implementation? Is
> > there some kind of tracing I can enable in order to take a look what kind
> > of call did fail?
>
> Probably (despite Robert Reif and others having done a lot of good work
> there). Try
> WINEDEBUG=+driver,+winmm,+mmio,+mmsys,+sound,+mmtime,+mciwave,+msacm,+wavem
>ap,+wave,+midi,+mixer,+mmaux,+dscapture,+dsound,+dsound3d (whoa, that's
> about 3 times longer than expected! ;)

Oh - thanks. I already tried WINEDEBUG and wondered that I got no output and
just realized that my wine was compiled with --disable-debug ... ,-)

So with a rebuild wine the most obvious hint in the log is:

warn:mixer:MIX_Open The sound card doesn't support rec level

Hm ... - might be the ALSA OSS emulation ... this is most probably what
ViaVoice is missing. However I just noticed the error message is different
when I use OSS instead of ALSA. With OSS ViaVoice complains:

"Can not use Audiomixer for sound playback"

while with ALSA it complains:

"No active mixers"

Is it possible that ViaVoice does want to use some Windows Mixer program to
playback sound?
The alsa backend seems to have some more problems:
ALSA lib control.c:739:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL plug:hw:0
ALSA lib control.c:739:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL plug:hw:1

Which I think happens since ALSA returns an infinite amount of channels and
such for the plug:hw:* and wine does use one of thoe values to setup the
card. When I patch it to use hw.* I can playback audio from Wine and do not
get the above errors.

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.t2-project.org