[QUARTZ] Add FFMpeg video wrapper filter

Christian Costa titan.costa at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jun 10 16:36:03 CDT 2005

Joerg Mayer wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:19:06AM +0100, Christian Costa wrote:
>

>>This wrapper only support rle, msvideo1 and mjpeg for now.
>>To enable support for it, download lastest FFMpeg package, built it and
>>install it.
>>Also copy avcodec.h, rational.h and common.h into a ffmpeg directory
>>created in a
>>standard directory (/usr/include or /usr/local/include).
>>Once done, run configure to detect the library and the headers.
>>The library is static so there is no runtime dependency.
>>

>I haven't looked at libffmpeg as a standalone library, but in case it's
>possible to do so, maybe runtime detection would be the way to go. That
>way wine binaries can be delivered without being patent challenged and
>video support can be added by just installing an additional dynamic lib.
>
> Ciao
>       Joerg

That would have been simplier if these libraries was shipped with a
stable API
like most libs we can deal with out there. But the fact is that the
authors does
not seem to want to stick to a particular API and they suggest to use
the lastest sources
and build your application with them.
If you ship wine with libavcodec support using dlopen, you have a
versioning problem and you may
have some incompatibility between the shared lib installed by users and
the headers the
packagers used for building.

If someone is interesting to help DirectShow development by
investigating how to handle
the dependency with libavcodec, I would be very happy. I can add a
section in the
DirectShow section in the Wiki if needed.

Bye,
Christian