Debugger under Solaris

Robert Lunnon bobl at optushome.com.au
Sat Jun 11 21:12:51 CDT 2005

On Saturday 11 June 2005 19:46, David Laight wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 09:17:09AM +1000, Robert Lunnon wrote:
> > I need some help to implement the debugger under Solaris. In particular I
> > need help with how ptrace interacts with the threading model under Linux
> > which I understand uses processes for threads. Since Solaris has user
> > mode threads, stopping a pid stops all the threads in the debugee which
> > used to deadlock the debugger. This suggests I need to operate on threads
> > within processes rather than the processes themselves. This is possible
> > with a few IPC tricks, but I need to understand the semantics
>
> I think you will find that solaris uses kernel LWPs for threads.
> If you give ps the correct incantation it wil show them.
>
> 	David

My Solaris implementation (which is the only one out there at the moment) uses
bound threads, the lwp implementation no longer works. It doesn't matter
really, the lwps share a common pid whereas under linux, I understand they do
not, so ptrace under linux should be able to work on threads where ptrace
under Solaris  definitely cannot.

Ptrace is going away under solaris anyway, so I will need the debugger code
for the future anyway.

Bob