Dragon NS8 on wine

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Sun Jun 12 05:54:36 CDT 2005

Hi all,

despite my inital problems with the setup.exe of Naturally Speaking 8 wanting
to install and USB 2 (EHCI) stack which failed due to "OS not supported" I
found out that it is possible to run the .msi Microsoft Installer manually:

Install the Microsoft Installer as downloadable somewhere at microsoft.com:

wine  InstMsiA.exe

cd /media/cdrom               # or where your wine CD-ROM is
wine msiexec /i ISScript9.Msi # some script engine needed
wine msiexec /i "Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8.msi"

However the I still tinker to start the real applications when installed ...

The audio.exe works - itz can adjust the microphone gain and I get a signal to
noise ration of 24.

However starting natspeak.exe yields:

$ wine ./natspeak.exe
fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"bcmdmccp.vxd". Try setting
Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"smartvsd.vxd". Try setting
Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"smartvsd.vxd". Try setting
Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"smartvsd.vxd". Try setting
Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"smartvsd.vxd". Try setting
Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"sice.vxd". Try setting Windows
version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"ntice.vxd". Try setting Windows
version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"siwdebug.vxd". Try setting
Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"siwvid.vxd". Try setting Windows
version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

When I set the winver to nt40 I get:

$ wine natspeak.exe
err:seh:setup_exception nested exception on signal stack in thread 0009 eip
401b06a9 esp 401d3cf8 stack 0x405d0000-0x406d0000

Idea anyone? Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.t2-project.org