unixfs: cache canonicalized unix paths corresponding to dos devices

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jun 16 16:05:23 CDT 2005

On Thursday 16 June 2005 17:02, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> I don't think you want to do that. The goal of the new symlink scheme
> is to make it possible to change drive config on the fly, caching it
> would defeat that.

You mean like while an application is running? Wouldn't that break a lot of
applications, which store filenames in memory during runtime?

In the current implementation, for every shitemid that is constructed, all
drives are queried and their paths are canonicalized, which is a lot of disk
i/o and string copying. Unixfs is really painfully slow. I guess we need some
caching scheme, but if you don't like the current one, I'll give it some more
thought.

Bye,
--
Michael Jung