MSN Messenger builtin progress

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 15:20:03 CDT 2005

On 6/18/05, Maarten Lankhorst <m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> wrote:
> According to that, Msi will install riched20.dll, if there is none
> detected. Since they include it on their office cd's, I can safely
> presume it is perfectly legal to install riched20.dll, so it doesn't
> look like there could be a legal issue.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong..)

My MSI EULA says it's ok to:
"You may install and use the Software on a single computer solely for
the purpose of designing, developing, and testing applications for use
with Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 2000 Service Pack
4, Windows XP, Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 and
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1."

And yes, since it's packaged with MS Office it's presumably fine to
install native MSI.

However, what isn't legal is to cherry pick DLL's and download them
separately.  Unless someone specifically has redistribution rights for
RICHED20.DLL, then you can't use it.  However, if MSI installs it,
then you can install it with that package:
$ WINEDLLOVERRIDES="riched20=n" wine InstMsiA.exe

Of course the correct solution is to not rely on native DLL's...

-Brian