winefile: switch to UNICODE mode

Ralf Reiterer ralfreit at gmx.at
Tue Jun 21 19:52:16 CDT 2005

Hi,

> The pure existence of <include/tchar.h> in the Wine code base
> shows me, Wine is aimed to support TCHARs. So why don't you
> want to properly activate its functionality and take Winefile
> as an example how to use it?
> I know, I won't be able to convince you. Any one out there to
> support my point of view?  ;-)

the whole existance of the TCHAR type and associated
functions is to allow applications to be portable between
ANSI and Unicode and therefore avoid ugly #ifdefs for
distinguishing between ANSI and Unicode. As it is part of the
Platform SDK at least since Windows 95 was released, I'm sure
many Win32 applications (still) rely on the TCHAR type. At
least the MFC library and ATL does and hence all MFC/ATL
based applications rely on that type too.

So I really think Wine has to support the TCHAR type and all
associated functions/macros to stay as close to the Windows
API as possible.

And since it helps to avoid #ifdefs in application source, I
think that's a strong argument not to eliminate it from
Winelib (includes). Maybe these arguments help to convince
you, Alexandre. ;-)

Regards
Ralf