CrossOver licensing behaviour?

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Jun 24 07:47:01 CDT 2005

Hi and greetings from LinuxTag in Karlsruhe!

At our booth we had a visitor who told me that the version of
CrossOver Office that he had been using issued a timely warning
about license expiration few months before finally actually ceasing
to provide service exactly after one year.

This report is rather astonishing to me since I'm not too happy
about software which actually ceases to work after some time,
and I also wouldn't have expected Codeweavers to employ such
questionable policies.

On
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/upgrade_policy/
there is no mention of actually disabling the software after a year,
though. The only thing mentioned here is loss of support after a
year, which is perfectly fine with me. That way you're left with an
unsupported piece of ju^H^Hsoftware, yet may keep running it for centuries.
Given that a denial of service (pun intentional ;) after a year is
not mentioned on this web page, I have some reasons to suspect that this visitor
had some random issue making his installation fail to keep working.

The visitor told me that it may have been a special SuSE CrossOver version
(Wine Rack?). Does that one have specially restrictive terms, maybe?

Thanks for listening, now continuing to provide free quality advertisement for CXO
on LinuxTag ;-),

Andreas Mohr