Multi-User Software Installs

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Mon Jun 27 03:46:31 CDT 2005

Hi,

> I'm looking for ways to install wine on a multi-user box so that
> hundreds of users can share the same base registry.
>
> Username substitution would help in the registry processing.
> So when a flag is set for installing a global setting, registry keys
> written which include the username would instead put something like
> $username into the key.
I've found a way to do so, but I have only a small home computer and not
hundrets of users.

I've put the C-Drive in /opt/windows, owned by root:root and writeable only by
root. system.reg, dosdevices, userdef.reg and the config file are
in /etc/wine. In the home directories, there's a .wine directory with
individual user.reg directories and soft links to the files in /etc/wine.
This way only root can install software and the users can't modify
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE(They can temporarily for themselves, but it won't be
stored and the others are not affected. Furthermore I copy the applnk entries
to a system wide directory(/usr/share/applnk/wine) and modify them manually
so every user can see them in his start menu.

The major problem I have are those Apps which require full access to their
install directories and installers which write required application settings
to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. So basically the same problems as under Windows :-(
Another thing is that even new applications do not really realize that I'm
using the Administrator account if I am root, so that's why they install
everything to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

My hack works for a small system like mine, but I doubt it's possible for
hundrets of users.

Stefan Dösinger