Battlefield 1942 Regression

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Mon Jun 27 13:07:59 CDT 2005

Hi,

> That seems odd SFAIK Battlefield  1942 is a directX 8
> game
Yes, as far as I know it is.

> My notes on the demo are as follows
> 'seems to be ok, but there's a lot of missing text
> (this could just be a missing font though)
The fonts work with cedega, in wine there are only blocks. I didn't look at
this deeply, but a missing font sounds possible

> graphics also seem slow, but that could be mmtimer
> bogging things down
Not for me. Works fine with everything set to high at 800x600. Envmap and
shadows disabled. (1.6 GHZ Intel Pentium M processor, 512 MB of RAM, Radeon
Mobility 9000). Seems to work better(Tested in Cedega) than on WinXP on my
friends notebook, who has exactly the same hardware. Wine's performance is
the same as Cedegas, but you have to redirect STDERR to /dev/null, otherwise
the scrolling wine messages will eat your fps.

> There's the odd missing texture or wrongly draw
> element, and the graphics are annoyingly slow, apart
> from that everything seems to work fine."
Yes, thats also what I noticed. With Cedega the graphics work fine, but it's
hell unstable because of the crappy fglrx driver(Some maps don't start, ...)
In Wine it's much more stable and I have this texture problem and problems
with Direct Sound and a minor Mouse Lock problem.

> My DirectX patches shouldn't affect anything, as they
> are only for DirectX 9 and shoudln't affect DirectX 8.
> having said that the intent is to move the DirectX 8
> code over to the new code, this should fix quite a few
> of the problems I've noted with the game.
>
> Anyhow, I'll retest ASAP to make sure it's still
> working at my end.
I can send you screenshots if they are of use for you, but the most immediate
thing is that you don't see the hands holding the weapon in front of you if
the patch is applied.

Thanks for the good Direct3D work done so far!
Stefan Dösinger