Add new "nrelay" debug channel - useful for debugging GPFs in target applications

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Mar 2 02:29:52 CST 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 04:09:36PM +1100, Troy Rollo wrote:
> The nrelay ("native relay") debug channel acts to limit the output of the
> relay debug channel, and only works if the relay debug channel is also on.
> When "nrelay" is on, "relay" will not log calls made from one built-in
> library to another built-in library, or within a built-in library. Thus each
> call logged is a call made directly by the target application or by one of
> the native DLLs it depends on.
Yay!! Thanks a lot!
This one is VERY important, since developer confusion by overwhelmingly big
and mostly less useful relay logs in recent years has grown a lot, I'd say.

One suggestion: maybe make *only* logging external relays the default,
and add a wrelay channel to add back the logging of Wine inter-dll calls?
This might make more sense even, since you're often not interested at all in
Wine interactions, but what the target app does.

Any suggestions about the average percentage where people are interested in
app-only calls as opposed to a full relay log?
That would then tell us which way to implement this limiting.
I'm not sure about the percentage, since I haven't done much development
in recent years.

Andreas Mohr