World of Warcraft - crash in game

Paul van Schayck polleke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 11:52:36 CST 2005

Hey,

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:43:11 +0000, Alex Woods <wine-devel at giblets.org> wrote:
> Whilst playing around trying to get some kind of lead, the sound cut out
> on me whilst playing the game.  I decided to keep going, and the game
> played for a surprisingly long time.  The next day I booted the game
> with wine's sound drivers disabled and played for about 10 hours total
> without a crash (for purely stress-test reasons you understand ;)).
> I've had a chance to give it a go with the wineoss.drv.so now and that
> also seems stable, so I guess the problem is in winealsa.drv.so which I
> had been using.

I can confirm that. I only managed to get sound working to an
acceptable rate (ticking, and stutters) with winealsa, no dmix/asym (I
use that for my no harware mixing soundcard) and dsound hardware
emulation.
I will get a lot of these:
fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection
(mixlen=32768 < primary_done=40572)
err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne underrun on sound buffer 0x404071d8

And:
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:590:(snd_pcm_hw_pause) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_PAUSE failed:
Function not implemented
err:wave:wodPlayer_ProcessMessages pcm_pause failed: Function not implemented

This last error is probably because of my usb ALSA driver for my usb headset.

Without dsound hardware emulation (so plain ALSA) I will get
stuttering sound. And with wineoss (so, alsa oss emulation) I will not
get any sound at all.

This is with a 2.6.9 kernel and alsa-driver 1.0.8.

Thanks,
Paul